Monday, November 12, 2012

Cranberry Apple Crisp

I was feeling rather festive the other day at the grocery store and bought a scoop of frozen(ish) cranberries out of an open freezer bin (much like the large nut display that I'm used to). I scooped up a small bag and wondered what they would turn into once they got into our kitchen  :)  All the possibilities were exciting to my cooking-loving brain.

After having them defrost in the refrigerator for a couple days I told Denver that I really must make them into something. Originally I was thinking of Cranberry (Pound) Bread - I'm not sure if there is such a recipe, but it sounded good!  Then I was going to make a Cranberry Apple Pie (the picture online looks so pretty). But at 8:30pm on Saturday night I didn't feel like rolling out pie dough. So instead I made an Apple Cranberry Crisp - and it was fabulous!

The apples turn red color from the cranberries

this is on a glass plate - tricky :)
















Here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it:  50 65  
  • 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples  (I used more than 3 cups)
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 cup sugar (I did 3/4 c.)
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • I added cinnamon - probably about a 1-2 teaspoons
  • TOPPING:
  • 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup chopped Diamond of California® Pecans
  • Again I added some cinnamon - probably about 1 teaspoon

Directions

  • Combine apples, cranberries, sugar and flour. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. (I used a 9x13) baking dish. In a bowl, mix topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until fruit is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment