Sunday, January 4, 2015

Parmesan Spinach Balls

If I needed another reason to love my food processor, this would be it! I love throwing all the ingredients into the bowl, turning it on, and thirty seconds later having all the chopping and mixing work done for me! If you don't have a food processor, consider buying one if you see it go on sale...for real!

This recipe is originally not gluten free, but with some minor adjustments I have made it GF friendly.  We thought the gluten (original) version might hold together firmer in a more meatball-like form, but ours were more like soft drop cookies in shape. But still just as delicious, I'm sure!

If you would like to refer to the original recipe, here it is. My adaptations, aka the new recipe is below.

10 oz mixture of frozen spinach and kale, and didn't measure amounts really, just threw in handfuls
1 small onion
1 c. Stuffing. GF Version:  Oat flour, Quinoa flour (make both flours in a blender or with an immersion blender), GF crackers, cooked quinoa and flax. I used a combination of all of these options the two times I've made them. If you are using the flours, you should let the mixture sit for a while to let the flours absorb some of the moisture.
3 eggs
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese
1-3 Garlic, cloves
1/2 t. Pepper, fresh course ground
1/4 -1/2 t. salt
To taste:  Sage, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme, Bourbon smoked Paprika

Combine all ingredients together in your food processor (or blender??) till well mixed. Let mixture sit for a few minutes for flours to absorb some of the liquid. Mixture should hold it's form on a spoon and not be runny. Since you can't taste the mixture before cooking (with the raw egg) smell it and see if it smells appealing to you. Add more spices to your liking.

Drop Tablespoon size onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 12-20 minutes (depending on how large of "meatballs" you make).  The bottoms get slightly browned and the tops dry out. My test of readiness is when I can smell the food cooking it usually means its done...sometimes I smell burning though and I miss the "done" window, oops.

We found these especially delightful with Red Pepper Cashew Cream Sauce (recipe in previous post).

No comments:

Post a Comment