Friday, October 5, 2012

Autumn Harvest Crisp


This dessert or special breakfast treat doesn't have a name yet - but it's a favorite around our house. It's quick and made from things that I normally have on hand. Best of all it was a combination of Denver's and my ideas = success! It's always a joy to be in the kitchen together.

Harvest Crisp
Applesauce - heat in a skillet
I use homemade applesauce that is already spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves....so if you are using store bought applesauce I would recommend spicing it up a bit with "fall" spices.

Make apple crisp topping (or granola if you are making it for breakfast and want it to be quicker)
-oats, chopped nuts (walnuts), crasins, coconut, cinnamon - mix together and add melted butter or coconut oil to make it stick together into crumbles

*You may be thinking in this step that it doesn't sound like something "on hand." Well, when I make a batch I double or triple what I will need for the crisp and put the rest in the refrigerator so it's "on hand." Pre-made granola would make this step easy also. (I have never used granola, since I like the crisp topping so well and always have that extra minute.)

Ok, back to the crisp topping. Heat it on the stove till its sounding hot - when the nuts are sizzling. Careful the nuts burn easily at this point.

In a separate pan make Fried Bananas.
-Slice bananas (I usually do one per person) either length-wise or in rounds
Put into a pan with butter/coconut oil/ ...oil of your choice
-Let bananas soften slightly then sprinkle with vanilla (I use the best vanilla we have since it doesn't bake into the recipe like if you are making a cake)
 -sprinkle with cinnamon (if you like cinnamon - keep in mind all three layers have cinnamon in them)
Fried Bananas turn out kind of mushy. I think they are done when they stick together and are very soft.


Combine the three parts in order given. I keep the apple sauce in the pan, but it can be put into something prettier. Then put crisp topping over the applesauce. Place the bananas evenly around the top of the dish.


Fun variations: Add small apple chunks to the applesauce. Or peaches or any fruit that you have on hand that you think will go well with apples and bananas.

Enjoy with yogurt for breakfast or with ice cream for dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment