Friday, October 5, 2012

Quick Pumpkin Tiramisu

Last night I threw together left-overs for our picnic dinner. Hardly a scrumptious picnic. There was no red checked picnic blanket either. It was a windy, chilly day in Hayward, so we ate in the car again this week; this week with the doors and windows closed.

We bring treats to Bible Study for the visiting time afterwards. I usually enjoy thinking about what to bring the day before. But yesterday I was busy with other things (baby shower invitations - I will show them later).

Here's what I threw together: Pumpkin Tiramisu (QUICK!)
-Pumpkin Butter
-Yogurt
-Egg Nog
-Graham Crackers
-Coffee/ Chai Tea Mix

I keep Pumpkin Butter in the fridge at all times. Denver likes it on toast or yogurt, etc. I make mine from a can of pumpkin, but Trader Joes also sells a nummy one.

My Pumpkin Butter Recipe:
-can of pumpkin (heat in a small sauce pan)
-spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves
-sugar, honey, brown sugar (little bit of the sugars. I have found honey helps smooth the texture)
-vanilla
-lemon juice (sometimes, and just a little bit)

Taste to make sure you like the flavor, add more or less of anything till it's how you like it.
Warm till a low simmer. It makes the consistency smoother and less mealy.

So...back to the Tiramisu

Mix Pumpkin butter and Yogurt (I prefer vanilla sweetened yogurt, so I sweetened our plain yogurt with vanilla and honey). Probably about even parts 1 c. of each.
Smooth a layer of pumpkin butter/yogurt in the bottom of a small baking dish/ pretty serving dish.
 Layer completely with Graham Crackers

I had extra pumpkin on the bottom layer so I pushed the graham crackers in towards the bottom and squished some of the bottom layer up - then I covered this "new" middle filling layer with instant chai tea mix and powered coffee grounds.

2nd Layer of Graham Crackers - completely covering to all edges

Mix Egg Nog (can add milk to make it go further) and Pumpkin Butter. About 1 - 1 1/4 c. Egg Nog to 3/4c. -1c. Pumpkin Butter.  (I heated it on the stove to help it soak in and soften quicker).

Pour Egg Nog over the 2nd graham cracker layer. Sprinkle the top with some cinnamon, or coffee for looks.

Place in refrigerator for 3-4 hrs. or overnight (it gets better with time)

Denver and I were talking about how to improve this recipe last night and we came up with substituting cream cheese (you would need to also add milk to thin it) for the yogurt. The yogurt has a tang that I'm not totally in love with. Anyway, enjoy this fun, quick, fall tasting and melt-in-your-mouth dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment